Monday, April 27, 2015

Puna Instant-Read Digital Meat Thermometer #meatthermometer

My husband does a lot of grilling and BBQ, and for those that know the difference, they also know that the proper tools can sometimes make all the difference. So this Puna Instant-Read Digital Meat Thermometer seemed like a shoo-in for or product favorites rating. Sadly, it fell far short, and I'll go over just how and why here. IMAG2815 For starters, I was initially told this thermometer was waterproof. It's not, far from it. In fact, it's very shoddily assembled and not only lets in water, but dust, oil, grease, or almost anything, really. It isn't even meant to hold together well, so be careful putting it down, lest the top pop off. Next, it's not very accurate. Temperature swings from 2-5 degrees (or more) at a time are not uncommon, and that can be frustrating. Incredibly so. It also takes a while to actually get a read of the temperature, far in excess of the 6-8 seconds advertised by Puna. When you have your face in a hot smoker, that's not any kind of fun, as hubby has attested to on frequent occasion. IMAG2816 It takes a LR44 button cell battery, which are now, thankfully, fairly common and cheap, but might not always be readily on hand to replace. Unfortunately, you can't get the battery out to replace it without causing damage to the unit, so it's a one-and-done unit. Puna's Digital Meat Thermometer thankfully has an auto-shutoff, which should negate any quick battery drain. It also comes with a full-sized plastic sheath. That's about the extent of the positives for this Puna Digital Meat Thermometer.
  Lastly. I must touch on the construction. It is very, very poorly constructed. I've never had cause to disassemble any thermometer I ever owned, yet when I was seeing how to replace the battery on this Puna thermometer, it completely came apart. As the pictures will show, every expense was clearly spared in it's construction, and it is clearly not built to last at all. At almost $13 apiece (at the time of this writing), you're better off spending your money on a better built, more accurate product that might last you more than a few uses. Puna offers a lifetime replacement guarantee, according to their Amazon.com listing, and comes with a free digital e-book entitled "BBQ Mastery Guide", but it is still grossly overpriced for what you're getting. The listing is also all over the place, with pictures that aren't relevant to the listing, and descriptors that defy explanation, like calling a 9 & 1/2" thermometer "pocket-sized". I simply can't recommend this product, and while I hate to be so down on a product I got for free to test and review, I also can't in good conscience recommend it at all.

 I received the above product(s) free of charge from Puna, Inc. and Giveaway Service.  I am not obligated to provide a positive or favorable review, just my honest opinion.  My review is based on my experience with the product and/or brand, which may differ from yours.

  Reference ID: pm8d749ea54f6657b0396c204d3148da60

No comments:

Post a Comment