Thursday, January 30, 2014

Bob's Red Mill: Gluten Free Zucchini Fries made with Rice Flour and Pecorino Romano & Parmesan Cheese

DSCN4193

With the Big Game taking place this weekend, I wanted to try making a recipe that was not just healthier, but tasting delicious was a must. I started from scratch and this is my first time working with Rice Flour. My oven also decided to die on Wednesday (he needs a new igniter) and of course the part is on back-order and it won't be fixed until the middle of next week, so this girl needs to find a way to still celebrate this weekend!

I started by cutting raw zucchini into sticks to resemble fries. Since I was experimenting, I used half of a zucchini because this was a large sized one to begin with. I poured buttermilk and allowed the vegetable to soak for about 30 minutes. I then mixed the ingredients for the batter.

DSCN4181

Soak 1/2 to 1 Zucchini in buttermilk for about 20 to 30 minutes. I used about 1/2 a cup of buttermilk.

Coating/Batter:
1/4 cup of Bob's Red Mill Rice Flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon of Pecorino Romano & Parmesan cheese blend (you may use any grated hard cheese)
Smoked Salt (to taste)
Pepper Medley (to taste)
Dash of Parsley Flakes
Dash of Cayenne Pepper

You simply take the above ingredients and mix until incorporated.

DSCN4184

I then took the french fry style zucchini sticks and simply coated them until they were nicely covered.

DSCN4185 DSCN4187 DSCN4188

While I coated the rest of the zucchini, I started to warm the oil (I used Peanut oil but you can use any oil that suits you best). Once the oil reached a 375 degree temperature, I began to fry. You will notice that the amount of oil needed is not much and these begin to brown almost instantly.

DSCN4190 DSCN4191

Like, within 30 seconds you will notice color change so be ready to flip. The rice flour cooks up to a nice golden brown and because the cooking time is quick, this not only a easy recipe to make but the vegetable does not get soggy or mushy in texture. You get crisp and light fries you can enjoy. You may serve with ranch or even a light marinara, or just as is with a dash of flake salt and black pepper.

DSCN4192

Try the above with onion petals and you can mix it up :) For a fun way to serve, I used a sheet of parchment paper and made a cone. Cut the top with one of those decorative scissors that leave a pretty edge (or just swag up and down when cutting). I then stapled the end because tape does not stick to parchment paper. Cheap and an easy was to give them that classic "Pomme Frites"!

DSCN4194

Enjoy your weekend!

DSCN4157

Connect with all the wonderful product's from Bob's Red Mill:

  • Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/BobsRedMillNaturalFoods

  • Twitter- https://twitter.com/BobsRedMill

  • Pinterest- http://www.pinterest.com/bobsredmill/

  • Google+- https://plus.google.com/+bobsredmill/posts

  • Instagram- http://instagram.com/bobsredmill

  • and yes, the man has a Blog- http://blog.bobsredmill.com/


I received the above product free of charge from Bob's Red Mill. I am not obligated to provide a positive or favorable review, just my honest opinion. My review is based on my experience with the product and/or brand, which may differ from yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment