Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Garlic Gold: Tri-Color Quinoa Grain Vegetable Medley Salad that can be Baked too #MeatlessMonday #recipe

IMAG0616

 

This recipe is a 2-in-1, where you can make a salad or go for a a little protein kick by adding an egg and baking. Bakes in less than 15 minutes!  A Great Spring dish and perfect for our latest California's weather where it is hot in the day but cold at night.

Let's begin....

1/4 cup of Tri-Color Quinoa (measure dry and pre-cook with water, with a little salt and pepper)
1/2 cup of Kale (roughly chopped)
1/3 of a cup of Broccoli
1/8 of a cup of Green Bell Pepper
1/2 a Zucchini
1 Slice of Red Onion
1 Slice of White Onion
1 tablespoon of Garlic Gold Red Wine Vinaigrette
1 teaspoon of Olive Oil (reserved for cooking phase)

Garlic Gold Nuggets to taste and you can also add a Goat Cheese crumble

Optional (if Baking)-
1 egg
Fat of your choice (butter, olive oil, coconut oil, ect.) to oil the dish
Honey Goat Cheese crumbled on top
Garlic Gold Nuggets and an Arugula toss (raw arugula with a drizzle of the Garlic Gold Red Wine Vinaigrette)

I start by cooking the Quinoa and it takes about 10 minutes. If any water is left, drain and just set aside in a bowl.

IMAG0602

I then start chopping all the vegetables and this is roughly done because I am aiming for bite size.

[gallery ids="3050,3051"]

Heat up a skillet and add the 1 teaspoon of Olive Oil or any fat of your choice (or even none). Start sauteing the onions and bell pepper until you get a nice golden color but keep in mind you want crunch left.

[gallery ids="3053,3054"]

I add the saute onions and bell peppers to the bowl with the Quinoa. Using the same pan, I saute the zucchini for a little over 1 minute because again I aiming for a par-cooked texture and I want the vegetable to get color but preserve some firmness.

IMAG0606

The zucchini gets added to the bowl. I then add the broccoli and kale and again saute for under a minute.

IMAG0607

The cooking intensifies the flavors and takes the bore out of eating your vegetables :) Once everything is in the bowl, I add the Garlic Gold Red Wine Vinaigrette.

[gallery ids="3057,3058"]

The Garlic Gold adds flavor and this is why we used little to no seasonings beforehand. Toss and then you can enjoy as-is, add the goat cheese and/or move on to baking.

If Baking-
Preheat oven to 400 degrees

I used an oven-safe au gratin dish that fits the above contents nicely and allows the egg to have room. It's approximately 2-cups in size. I used a Coconut Oil and a Butter blend to oil my dish and prevent the egg from sticking.

IMAG0611

I then add the vegetables and Quinoa mix, make sure everything is evenly spread and leveled.

IMAG0613-1

I cracked 1 egg an it's up to you if you wish to add a little milk when whisking. Once the egg is whisked, I then simply pour it over the vegetables and add the crumbled goat cheese.

[gallery ids="3059,3062"]

I bake the dish for 15 minutes, with the first half covered (tented with foil so it does not come in contact with the cheese) and the other half uncovered. The vegetables remain with a nice crunch and full of flavor.

IMAG0615

I opted to top my bake with an Arugula toss (arugula and a little dash of the Garlic Gold vinaigrette) and a dash of the Garlic Gold Nuggets. This adds flavor and you get a nice warm and cold contrast.

IMAG0619-1

This dish can be made ahead and just add the egg and bake when you are ready. You can have the salad on top of romaine lettuce with a toasted pita on the side, but it's filling, low in calories and fat but most importantly......Garlic Gold delicious! Enjoy!'

 

IMAG0618-1

 

You can also make this easy dish by getting your own Garlic Gold Products at:

On-line- http://garlicgold.com/

Visit Garlic Gold on Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/GarlicGold

Twitter- https://twitter.com/garlicgold

See the pretty Garlic Gold products and the other dishes you can create on Pinterest- http://www.pinterest.com/garlicgold/

IMAG0617-1

 

I received the above product free of charge from Garlic Gold.  I am not obligated to provide a positive or favorable review, just my honest opinion.  My review is based on my experience with the product and/or brand, which may differ from yours.

IMAG0586-1

No comments:

Post a Comment