Monday, April 7, 2014

UrthBox: March Box Review.....Discover a Healthier You!

IMAG0455
I can easily state that from all the subscription boxes that are food related.....this one is the most packed!


Urthbox is a company which fills their subscription boxes with healthy, not-your-average treats and snacks. Stocking their box with only non-GMO foods makes this company stand out above all the rest.  They also have boxes that fit every dietary need from vegan, gluten-free and even "diet" options.  Munching diet related products is a great way to know what works, what you like to even what you want to continue purchasing.  Urthbox also has boxes to fit every budget starting from $19 (7-10 items), medium sized box for $29 (12-15 products), to the large box that makes you a super happy snacker at $49 (20-24 items).  I received the "Part-Time Snacker" box in size medium.  I received 12 products from different manufacturers but the quantity was larger because some products came in counts of 2 or even 3.  I liked that they count your products by individual kinds versus counting that they added 2 items of one product and using that towards the full count.  Very fair and generous of UrthBox.  I also want to add that shipping is free, so the above price points are with shipping included.

Let's get started because I have so much to cover....I will be using the 1 to 5 point system where 5 is superb in taste/flavor and texture, and where 1 is pretty much saying don't put it in your mouth :)

IMAG0463

  • Snap Pea Crisps (One .75 ounce package): I have seen these being sampled at Costco but never actually stood in line to try one.  It's pretty much Green Peas that are lightly salted and baked.  A healthier way to snack because you get less fat than potato chips but this treat also is a good source of fiber.  I love peas of any kind so I am biased on this one.  I did like the texture but was not super fond of the aftertaste.  It was not pleasant and left my mouth lacking moisture but now I know to pass versus buying on these.  I give them a 2


IMAG0459

  • Hemp Hearts (Two 0.5 ounce packages): I have tested these before and enjoy them very much.  You can read my full detailed review here- http://wp.me/p2B5Rd-fP and I give these a 5


IMAG0456

 

  • Viana Mild Jumbo Veggie Snack Sausage (Two 1.76 ounce packages): I received the Traditional German Smokehouse variety and have never tasted a non-meat sausage.  I first loved how it smelled because that is my first test before taking a bite.  The smell was spicy and very inviting.  I take a bite and must say that flavor is not missing and you get a nice smoky taste with a wonderful blend of spices.  Being a meat-eater, I can say if you told me it was turkey or chicken based....I would be none the wiser.  It's organic and you get a generous 13 grams of soy based protein with only 130 calories.  It's up there with a cup of yogurt and only 360 mg of sodium and 2 grams of sugar.  It fills you up in a more satisfying way and I would purchase this item again.  I give this product a 4


IMAG0458

  • Salba Chia Boost (Two 0.5 ounce packages): Advertised as not your usual chia seed and something I would have overlooked because I have had bad chia seeds.  I did not think qualities changed so drastically and because I sorted on value when first buying them, I first purchased a bag of great quality seeds.  I then go and repurchase the chia seeds but decided to pick-up a cheaper brand......big mistake.  There was such an off taste that eating them in a wet or dry method did not save me.  I ended up discarding them so there went my savings turning into waste.  I can say that Salba does have a premium product and I also enjoyed that these come in ground (powder) form, something that was new to me.  I mix it with my flax seeds and they are a treat with a nutritional punch.  I give this item a 5


IMAG0465

  • Kelapo Extra Virgin Coconut oil (One 0.5 ounce package): The Coconut oil is cold pressed and unrefined.  Love that it's Fair Trade certified and Organic.  I have become a fan of the coconut and it's oil, to the point I cook with it and even purchase a butter and coconut oil spread that makes great grilled cheese sandwiches, even to just being used on bread.  The Kelapo package states to warm in hands, tear and squeeze.  Like many cooking oils, not all are equal and I put Kelapo in the higher grade when it comes to standards, texture and flavor.  This is why I love these subscription boxes.....I became a fan of a new brand and give this oil a 5


IMAG0457 (1)

 

  • Shelton's Smoked Snack Stick (One 1.0 ounce package): The sausage stick came in jalapeno flavor and is turkey based.  Shelton's products use turkey that is antibiotic free and the ingredient list was rather short.  You have the turkey, jalapeno peppers, water, salt, encapsulated lactic acid, celery juice, red pepper, black pepper, granulated garlic, coriander and the blend is stuffed in a beef collagen casing  Pretty simple and as natural as you can get when it comes to the sausage world.  The product has a nice texture and spice content.  You pick up the flavor of the peppers and I loved that it was not greasy or fatty like other sausages of this kind.  I give this product a 4


IMAG0466

  • Neo Water (One 16.9 ounce bottle): Neo is a "Superwater" and it's super-ness comes with the triple the benefits that come with this drink.  You get water and added minerals for flavor, but also alkaline, has electrolytes and antioxidants.  The water has a crisp and refreshing flavor and it's definitely noticed when drinking.  It tastes cleaner and I like the added benefits.  I give this bottle a 5


IMAG0460

  • Spatone Pur Absorb Iron (3 0.67 fluid ounce packages): Okay, I never thought of drinking iron and I'm the type that usually tries to get mine from vegetables and meat.  You get 5 mg of iron per package and the contents are listed as iron-rich natural spring water.  Now, I'm more curious and my first thought was, "please don't taste like iron".  I taste it as-is and I will say the package suggests adding it to a fruit based juice or just more water.  It does not smell strong but my nose must be stuffy because the taste was very unpleasant.  Strong notes of metal and almost a fishy finish.  I drank plain water trying to wash the unpleasant taste and I would think I was free from it for it to just creep back.  The very unfavorable notes were stuck in the back of my teeth and in my throat, it took several sips to just diliute it enough so it would not give me a "sicky-feeling".  Again, why would someone want to drink their iron like this is something I thought before tasting and was reinforced after tasting.  I give this product a 1 but wishing my scale had a 0


IMAG0464

  • Licious Organics Honey Cookies (One 1 ounce cookie): Let's move on from the iron disaster and onto cookies...much nicer.  I received the cranberry almond variety and this is an unbaked cookie.  You have finely crushed oats, coconut, almonds and raw honey, plus cranberries and sunflower seeds.  You also have sunflower oil, Utah pink salt, cinnamon, vanilla and lemon juice. The cookie is also wheat free and 130 calories per small cookie.  I can say it tastes unbaked and even though dates are not mentioned, the pulverized texture makes you think of them of date bars.  This cookie saved me from the iron so I am grateful!  The texture and puck shaped cookie makes it......well un-cookie like.  This is more like a nutrition bar shaped like a disc but when I looked at the protein and nutrition facts, I can see why it's called a cookie.  Not bad if you have it right there but would not crave it or seek it out.  I give the faux cookie a 2


IMAG0462

  • Beanfield's Bean & Rice Chips (One 1.5 ounce bag): I was fortunate to review the entire selection offered by the Beanfield's company and today I still purchase and eat their chips.  I received the pico de gallo flavor and please read my detailed review here-http://wp.me/p2B5Rd-n2 .  You will enjoy these very flavorful chips and I give this tasty chip a 5


IMAG0467 (1)

  • Eco-Dent Oral Care (3 packets): This is a company that makes natural based products for oral care.  I received 1 packed of dental gum, 1 packet of the daily rinse and 1 packet of tooth powder that substitutes as toothpaste.  Eco-Dent has a full line of dental hygiene products to fulfill your dental needs.  The products tasted actually rather nice and they all had a mint-based flavor.  The company included a 10% off coupon, plus a nice informative pamphlet about what makes their products premium and natural.  They even stand behind their products with a money-back guarantee!  I'm addicted to keeping my teeth white and while I did like these items, they just did not fit my individual needs.  Yes, Baking Soda whitens but in my experience not as quick and fast as the products I currently use.  These products perform as advertised and I give these products a 4


IMAG0461

  • CalNaturalle Svelte Organic Protein Shake (One 11 Fluid Ounce container): I skip on drinking protein shakes or smoothies and I must be honest on why, I'm lazy about washing my non-dishwasher safe shaker bottle.  Yes, it comes down to that but it's the honest truth.  I then think of buying one that is dishwasher safe but no point if you need it the following day so I made a simple purchase complicate.  Only me!  In comes Svelte making sure to clear away my laziness by having their shake come in their own bottle.  I just shake, open and drink.  My flavor came in French vanilla and is sweetened with stevia.  All organic products and the protein shake is soymilk based, giving you 11 grams of protein.  It tasted pretty good for being a vanilla flavor and I drank half and then put it in the freezer for it to freeze just enough to make it taste like a shake....20 minutes top.  Then I loved it so I give this product a 4


 

  • So, let's rate my UrthBox and I give the service, size of box and items included a fairly deserved 4.5 and 5 if you find a discount code.....wait, I found one. Use code 5XU83J and you get a $10 Gift Card towards your first order. Code expires on 5/30/2014.


Please Visit UrthBox and broaden your food and snacking needs:

  • On-line- http://www.urthbox.com/ (Don't forget your code above at checkout)

  • Seek them via FaceBook- https://www.facebook.com/urthbox

  • Say "Hello" via Twitter- https://twitter.com/urthbox

  • Look at pics via Pinterest (I won't tell :) )- http://www.pinterest.com/urthbox/

  • or via Instagram- http://instagram.com/urthbox


 

I received the above product free of charge from UrthBox.  I am not obligated to provide a positive or favorable review, just my honest opinion.  My review is based on my experience with the product and/or brand, which may differ from yours.

1 comment:

  1. This company has the worst customer service ever.

    I just moved and I changed my address on the website the only place you can change it. I get the tracking info for my August boxes, I'm subscribed to three boxes, and I check to see where my boxes are. Tracking info says they've been delivered, they shipped them to the old address though.

    Obviously I'm pretty disappointed so I email them letting them know what happened. They respond saying that I should have emailed them to change my shipping address and that if I want my August boxes I will have to pay $6 more per box for them to be shipped to the correct address, the address that I had already changed on their website which says NOTHING anywhere as far as having to email them to change your shipping location.

    I let them know that I thought it was pretty messed up how they were handling this situation considering it was their error and their website issues that caused it to happen. To which they let me know that they would be adding a note to their website to email them if you need to change your shipping address. Yet are still requiring that I pay them another $18 on top of the already $70+ that I paid for my August boxes.

    Now they've stopped responding to me and are censoring me from their Facebook page.

    This is a terrible company with terrible standards, they will not last long.

    ReplyDelete