Friday, April 19, 2013

Easy-Peasy Chocolate Cake......under 1 hour from start to finish

I was inspired by an e-mail I received from King Arthur's Flour called "Original Cake-Pan Cake Recipe"

I was in an experimenting mood plus short on time, so I dove into this recipe with my trusty notepad, pen and camera.  I always alter recipes because I feel there is so much sugar in the ones I find without any need.  I want to taste the ingredients like Chocolate, not the over the top sweetness, plus I also like to substitute ingredients for the ones I have in stock.  I am not going to buy Pastry Flour again for one recipe for it just to sit there and expire again.  Lesson learned!! :)  I doubled the cocoa powder on this one and I still was able to cut the sugar!

DSCN1932

Easy-Peasy Chocolate Cake
This cake can be done in just under 1 hour!!  It's so easy and dairy free (minus the icing).  A great alternative for those busy days where you did not have the time to make anything and the best part, it's delicious!  It's also not a killer when it comes to calories because there is not a bunch of sugar and fats.


Batter:

6 1/2 ounces of All-Purpose Flour

4 ounces of White Sugar

1/2 cup of Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)

1/4 teaspoon of Salt

1 teaspoon of Baking Soda

1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract

1/2 teaspoon of Espresso Powder (optional)

1/2 tablespoon of white Vinegar (trust me....you will not taste it, it is just to help the cake rise when it combines with the baking soda.  Want a higher rise?  Up the vinegar to 1 tablespoon)

1/4 of Vegetable Oil

1 cup of cold liquid (this can be milk, water, coffee, get creative).


I start with a bowl and add the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt and baking soda.  I use a whisk to combine all the ingredients.


DSCN1881


I did not have espresso powder but I know how coffee can punch up the chocolate's flavor, so I got creative and used a Starbuck's VIA packet I had received via mail for free.  It was in Italian Roast flavor but any flavor will do.


DSCN1884


I added the entire packet and again whisked it together.


DSCN1889



DSCN1891



I then added the wet ingredients, the oil and vinegar.  Now for my 1 cup of cold liquid, I added water, whole milk and then coconut milk until I had 8 ounces in total.  I figured the coconut milk would have less fat and it would add flavor.  My husband dislikes coconut anything but can tolerate it in products where it's flavor is not present   I disclosed I was adding it and he knows it's just me playing scientist again!


DSCN1892


I whisked everything until combined and I love that I just dirty one dish.


DSCN1897


I pour the batter into a square pan that is 8 x 13, which has been sprayed with PAM w/flour spray (just in case).  I bake the cake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until done.


DSCN1900


The cake will slightly rise but I wanted density with a smooth finish, so this is why I only added 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar.  You can add up to 1 tablespoon in total if you wish the effect of a slightly higher cake.


While the cake bakes, I decided I wanted a mousse-like fluffy frosting,  so I wash the same dish I used to make the cake and get started on making the frosting.  This cake is so delicious that if you do not feel like frosting, it does not need it.  You can sprinkle powder sugar when it cools or even pair it up with ice cream.


Frosting:

8 ounces of Cream Cheese (softened)

4 tablespoons of Unsalted Butter (softened)

1 tablespoon of Sour Cream

1 teaspoon of Vanilla

1 ounce of Powdered Sugar

1/8 of a cup of Cocoa Powder (unsweetened) *optional


Mini Chocolate chips (optional) to sprinkle on after


I start by using a hand mixer and blend the cream cheese and butter until creamy.


DSCN1901


This takes about 2 minutes.


DSCN1905


I then add the sour cream and vanilla and blend some more.  I add the powdered sugar and blend until nice and fluffy.


DSCN1906



DSCN1908



As I was doing this, I asked my Husband if he wanted just a light buttered cream cheese frosting or if he was in a chocolate/chocolate mood?  He opted to go all the way and wanted chocolate.  I added 1/8 of a cup of cocoa powder and finished the frosting with the blender.  You can do what fits your mood and taste buds best!


DSCN1910



DSCN1914


I take the cake out and cool it down.  It's not a huge cake so it took 20 minutes to cool enough to be put in the fridge.  I left it in the fridge, uncovered for another 20 minutes.  It was a cold day and our fridge is set at a nice 35 degrees, so stuff cools down quick.


DSCN1920



DSCN1918


Once cooled, I spread the frosting and then sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.


DSCN1921




DSCN1930


That easy and it went well after dinner with the coffee crusted grilled tri-tip my Husband made on the barbeque.  I figure he got to play with coffee so I wanted to also.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment