Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Wafu style Chicken Egg Rolls

DSCN2011

I have been enjoying myself and trying all of Wafu's wonderful dressings that are so delicious, that they can be used as marinades. Tonight was one of our "trips to Asia", so that means I needed something that went beyond a potsticker for dinner. I had one defrosted chicken breast that was screaming I don't do my fall back and make Orange Chicken. My answer was simple and quick egg rolls since the chicken breast seemed to be dictating the night :)

I don't own a mandoline because so many seem to have poor reviews, that I can never decide which one to actually buy. I make do with the knives I own, plus that also means I don't need to make room for another kitchen tool.

Filling:

  • 1 Carrot thinly shredded

  • 1/2 cup of shredded Cabbage

  • 3 Green Onions thinly sliced



  • 1 large Chicken Breast

  • 1/4 teaspoon of Chinese Five Spice

  • Salt and Pepper to taste



  • 2 to 3 Garlic Cloves (diced)

  • 1 tablespoon of Peanut Oil and 1 tablespoon of Seasame Seed Oil



  • 3 to 4 tablespoons of the Original Wafu's Japanese Vinaigrette

  • 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated Ginger (less or more, as to your taste)


Wraps:

  • Egg roll wraps (you will yield 10 to 12 egg rolls depending on how you stuff)

  • 1 egg whisked


Frying Oil:

Peanut Oil for frying, about 1 to 1/2 cups

Dip:

  • Wafu's Wasabi Edamme Japanese dressing

  • Sriracha sauce to taste (between 2 to 3 drops or be brave and do more)


I start by peeling the carrot and discard the peels. I then take my peeler and make thin slices of the carrot. I take my knife and then julienne the carrots into fine slices.

DSCN1964

I then finely slice the cabbage.

DSCN1973

Next, comes the green onion and I use all the white parts, saving the green stalks that can be used for garnish.  I start by slicing the onions in half, and then in halves again to create thin strips.

DSCN1965

DSCN1966

Your trio should look like this:

DSCN1976

Next comes the chicken breast.  I start by dicing the breast into chunks and then add Chinese Five Spice

DSCN1979

This is about the size of my chunks but please cut them to any size you are comfortable with.  I then just add salt and pepper to taste and massage the seasonings into the meat.

DSCN1980

The vegetables do not require to be pre-cooked but the meat does.  These egg rolls take only but a few minutes to cook, so the meat needs to be fully cooked before frying.  I start by adding a mix of peanut oil and sesame seed oil, plus the fresh garlic I diced up.

DSCN1982

While that cooks, I take a bowl and add 3 to 4 tablespoons of Wafu's Original Japaneses Vinaigrette.

DSCN1988

I fry the chicken on both sides until the breast pieces get a nice color and are fully cooked, making sure to not burn the garlic.  I then add everything once it cools for 5 minutes to the Wafu dressing.  This includes the garlic, any left over juices and oils.  I toss making sure everything is incorporated.

DSCN1989

I then take my fresh Ginger out of the freezer because it's the only way I can make it last.  Using a knife, I finely grate enough to make 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of shavings.  I then add it to the chicken and toss.

DSCN1994

Next comes the fun part, assembly time.  I went to three stores that I knew stocked egg roll wraps, however everyone was out of stock. I finally found some at Von's market and this is the brand I used.  Use whatever brand you desire as I do not have a favorite.  Just make sure the ingredients the wraps are made of are to your liking.

DSCN1992

This how I assembled and I did not take certain amount of vegetables and meat.  I went with what seemed like an even amount and sometimes even a little more meat than veggies because then I could almost hear my husband asking if there was a chicken shortage he did not know of :P

DSCN1995

Then add the egg wash all around.  I used a silicone brush to make it easier to swipe all around.

DSCN1997

Next, comes the folding and it's just like making mini burritos.

DSCN1998

I then add a little more wash to the folded edges to insure things remain closed and also stuck together.

DSCN1999

Then just finish rolling.

DSCN2000

Repeat the process until you are out of chicken.  I was able to make 10 of this little guys.

DSCN2001

I covered my uncooked egg rolls with slightly moist paper towels while my oil heated up.

DSCN2004

Once my oil was hot, I began to fry three egg rolls at a time.  They cook up quickly....like less than a minute on each side.

DSCN2006

Flip once you see the edges slightly brown.

DSCN2008

When done, I just take them out and pat them on paper towels.

DSCN2009

Continue to fry until you are done and this goes by quickly, which is a good thing!  I then make my dip.  I take 1 to 1/2 tablespoons of Wafu's Wasabi Edamme Japanese dressing and add 2 to 3 drops of Sriracha sauce.  Mix and you are finished!  This is my first time making egg rolls, if I can do it....so can you!  Enjoy!

DSCN2010

I received the above dressings and vinagrettes free of charge from Wafu.  I am not obligated to provide positive/favorable feedback, just my honest opinion.  I highly recommend this company because they have one of the best dressings on the market.  From flavors that make a simple salad that much more enjoyable, to the practicality of being able to use their products as marinades.  I love the ingredients and the pride the company takes in keeping things simple but delicious.  My review is based on my experience with the brand, which may differ from yours.

Check them out at: http://www.wafu.ca/  on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/wafubrand Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/wafubrand or even on Pinterest at: http://pinterest.com/wafubrand/

DSCN1942

1 comment: