Monday, September 16, 2013

Pumpkin Maple Pecan Muffins with a Cream Cheese filling & Crumble Topping

DSCN3516

Fall is nearing even though the weather says, "No", but the trees say, "Yes". I wanted a recipe that is not too committed to the Fall flavors but I can adjust as the season changes. I find such adjustment can be made with the spice so I go a little lighter on the Pumpkin Pie spice when the weather is warmer. I hope you enjoy this simple recipe that is my way to start getting in that Autumn mood.

Batter:
15 ounce can of Pumpkin Puree (not the pie mix)
1/2 cup of Brown Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 tablespoon of Unsalted Butter (melted)
2 tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
1/4 of Maple Syrup
1/2 tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice (go with how you desire the spice to be)
1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda
1/3 cup of Milk (you can also use Almond Milk, Yogurt, Coconut Milk or a mix like I did. I used whole Milk and Almond milk to make 1/3 of a cup)
1/2 cup toasted Pecan pieces or halves
3/4 cup of Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (I used a mix of mini and
normal size)
1 3/4 cup of All-Purpose Flour

Cream Cheese Filling:
8 ounce package of Cream Cheese (softened)
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
1 tablespoon of All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup of Sugar

Crumble top:
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/4 of Old-Fashioned Oats
4 Tablespoons of Salted Butter (melted)

1 Muffin pan that yields 12 muffins/cupcakes

Optional:
12 Pecan Halves (not toasted)
1 tablespoon of Maple Syrup

I preheat my oven to 400 degrees and spray my muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. I use the Pam with Flour to yield the best results.

I start by mixing all my wet ingredients in a bowl. I then drop the ingredients in my mixer's bowl and incorporate for 20 to 30 seconds.

DSCN3488

I then add the toasted Pecans and Chocolate chips.

DSCN3490 DSCN3491 DSCN3493 DSCN3494

In another bowl, I mix the flour and baking soda and baking powder. On low, I begin to incorporate the dry ingredients with the wet mixture until everything is just mixed.

DSCN3495

I take my muffin pan and fill the cups but leaving enough room so I can add the cream cheese filling and topping.

DSCN3499 DSCN3500

To make the filling, just take all ingredients and mix until incorporated. If the cream cheese is not soft enough, a 10 to 15 second intervals in the microwave will fix that right up.

DSCN3496DSCN3498

Add the filling to your muffin batter. You can choose to have a center of cream cheese to your muffin or even a cream cheese top, or get creative and make a marbling. I was in a hurry so I plopped and went with a "at home" look, so the cream cheese stayed where it landed! :)

DSCN3501

I then add more of the pumpkin batter to cover the cream cheese.

DSCN3502

To make the crumble top, it is as easy as the filling. Incorporate all the dry ingredients and then mix in the butter until you have crumbles. Add the crumble to your muffins.

DSCN3497DSCN3503

I added a Pecan half to each muffin to give them that Autumn look. This is optional.

I put the muffin pan in the oven and let it bake at 400 for 15 minutes and then cover with foil and let it bake between 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until a toothpick comes clean. If you notice that 2 muffins come clean when tested but one is not playing nice, sometimes the cream cheese can be deceiving so I always go with the majority rule and pull them out than over bake them. You notice the Pecan may over brown or burn, cover with foil sooner as I know ovens vary.

DSCN3511

Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 8 to 10 minutes and I remove them by using a chop stick or toothpick to assist in pulling the muffin out without destroying or knocking off the topping. I then place the muffins on a rack to finish cooling. Have family that is impatient when you bake? You can eat these semi-warm so after 10 to 15 minutes, they can go at them!

Now, you will notice my pecan is shiny and that is because when I remove the muffins from the pan and onto a rack, I then take my finger and softly touch the pecan with maple syrup. Gives the nut flavor and it cools looking pretty.

DSCN3513DSCN3515

Options: You can add dried cranberries, raisins, or even substitute the nut for one more to your liking. You don't have to toast the nuts if you are short on time, I just do it because it gives the pecans a better flavor. You could also add butterscotch chips......make it your own as I have no rules!

DSCN3507DSCN3519

You will notice you may have 2 to 3 muffin worth of pumpkin batter left and some cream cheese. I believe in not wasting so I take a couple ramekins and created a swirl by using both the batter and filling. Once cooled, you can cover with ganache and again this is even something you can do to make the muffins :) Have fun!

DSCN3516

2 comments: