Friday, May 9, 2014

No Kneading Required- Almost Whole Wheat Rustic Bread, great for fillings #Recipe

IMAG0652

This is a simple and super easy baked bread that uses part All-Purpose flour and part White Whole Wheat flour. It's a blend that goes perfectly with fruit and even soft cheese with fruit based spreads. No kneading required and the bread lasts about 5 days in the fridge. I literally just pull the ounces I need and bake fresh bread when needed. It makes it look like I worked really hard in the kitchen!  This is the base recipe and you can make it go savory or sweet by what decide to fill it with.  You can also just have it as is and it goes great with ham!

Let's Begin.....

  • 2 1/4 cups of All-Purpose Flour

  • 1 cup of White Whole Wheat Flour

  • 3/4 tablespoon of Kosher Salt

  • 1/2 tablespoon of Yeast (Active-Dry)

  • 1 1/2 cups of warm Water (105 to 110 degrees)


Simply add the flours in a bowl, the salt and yeast. Whisk until blended and then add the water.

[gallery ids="3388,3389"]

With a wooden spoon or one that has the "umph" to withstand a few strokes, mix until blended. I usually do it for 1 to 2 minutes and if the dough seems too dry, add a teaspoon of water until you get a sticky consistency.

[gallery ids="3391,3393"]

 

Then simply cover lightly and allow the dough to proof for 2 hours.

[gallery ids="3390,3394,3395"]

I recommend a overnight rest in the fridge for better taste and it allows the bread flavor to mature nicely and hydrate properly. The next day just take out what you need. I pull out about 5 1/2 ounces to make a small sized loaf that is good for 2 people, plus leftovers. Allow the dough to rest for 10 to 15 minutes and then make your creations! Allow the shaped loaf to rest and proof for about 20 to 30 minutes and then comes the baking. Brush the loaf with warm water and sometimes I even add a touch of Maple Syrup to mine to even olive oil if I am making a savory loaf. Brush the loaf and then slash (2 or 3 should do). Then bake at 450 degrees until done. Mine takes about 20 minutes.  Allow the loaf to cool before cutting.  I allow 30 minutes unless a "squirrel" attacks my bread because he could not wait.  The squirrel is usually also called a husband :)

 

 

IMAG0653

Blueberry Maple Rustic Bread-

  • 9 ounces of Almost Whole Wheat Rustic Dough recipe above

  • 1/8 cup of dried Blueberries (I use no sugar ones- Bob's Red Mill)

  • Drizzle of Maple Syrup

  • Warm Water with a touch of Maple Syrup for "wetting" the loaf before baking

  • Dusting of Turbinado Sugar


 

Simply hydrate your berries and some people use warm water,

IMAG0620

others like to add flavor by warming some juice and allowing the blueberries to hydrate in that. I went for water because I could not decide what juice to use and since it was late at night, my brain was starting to turn off. I bloom the berries for about 15 to 20 minutes. I then grabbed about 9 ounces of dough from the fridge and let it rest for about 10 to 15 minutes.  Slowly begin to shape, sort of flattening and pulling softly until I get the desired shape and length.

[gallery ids="3397,3398"]

Then simply drain the blueberries and drizzle the maple syrup. I then rolled, leaving the flap side down.  You then just make sure the end (tips) are the shape you desire.  I went with a pointy look.

[gallery ids="3400,3399,3401"]

I got crafty and pulled some dough out to give it a scroll design on top but you don't have to :).  Let the loaf relax (proof) for 20 minutes. Time lapses and I brush the loaf with the water and touch of maple syrup. Gave it a few slashes, sprinkled with Turbinado sugar and in it goes to be baked.  I baked the loaf for 20 minutes at 450 degrees and then allowed it to cool on the rack. I had a late night baking session but come morning, we were enjoying fresh baked blueberry maple slices and it was divine!  You control the sugar and sweeteners and get creative!  Make a patriotic themed loaf by adding cranberries and even chocolate or nuts.  Enjoy!

[gallery ids="3402,3403,3404"]

No comments:

Post a Comment