Sunday, January 17, 2016

Kitchen Hearts Silicone Baking Mat Set

I do more baking than anyone I know. As a result, I've got a wealth of tools to assist me and I'm always on the lookout for something new and innovative to help me along. Over the years I've graduated from wax papers and sprays to parchment and silicone mats. If you've used one, you know they quickly become indispensable. But Kitchen Hearts had something I've yet to try: A ROUND silicone pizza mat!! Oh, baby!
DSC_0738
Silicone mats are probably one of the most versatile tools in a kitchen. They can be used for a multitude of things, and be used hundreds of times before needing to be replaced. From a splatter-catcher in the oven, to making french fries, cookies, macaroons, or biscuits, there's almost no limit to the goodies one can make on a silicone mat. They clean up with a little warm soapy water, need no oils or sprays to be non-stick, and virtually nothing sticks to them. Fats and oils bead up, and little crispy bits fall right away. They are also oven safe up to 475 degrees, so the limit is really your imagination!


Ideally. Sadly, 9" Kitchen Hearts Pizza mat came with a critical defect. See, silicone mats are almost just that: silicone. The silicone, however, encases a fiberglass mesh weave that gives the mats some tensile strength and help to hold it's shape better. But when you puncture the silicone, the fiberglass is exposed and it's time to toss the mat, both for health and safety reasons. And my round mat had exposed fiberglass all around the outside edge. Not only would that let water in and ruin the mat, but it's unsafe. One should never consume the fibers from fibergalss, and putting a sticky dough on exposed fibers a sure-fire way to do just that. So I didn't even get to try it, sadly. The large mat (a now-standard half-sheet 16.5" x 11.6" size) did not have these issues. I may contact the company about this because I'm really hoping to a new tool in my kitchen!


Connect with Kitchen Hearts:

DSC_0741
I received the above product(s) free of charge from Kitchen Hearts.  I am not obligated to provide a positive or favorable review, just my honest opinion.  My review is based on my experience with the product and/or brand, which may differ from yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment