Sunday, January 17, 2016

Madking Edison-Style Filament 60W Incandescent Bulb (6-pack)

I've been a fan of Edison-Style filament bulbs from the moment I saw them. They are so intricate, delicate, and beautiful and bring a little bit of fancy into an otherwise utilitarian object. And while pretty incandescent bulbs are now quite in vogue, it wasn't too long ago that they were quite hard to come by. I was thrilled to get to try a new set with a different design, but alas, all Edison-style bulbs are not created equal.
DSC_0730
At first, everything was perfect. Most of my light fixtures now had some version of Edison-Style lights in them. They have a standard (E26) base as well as a standard (A19) bulb shape. They run on standard 120V power and are supposed to be rated for up to 3,000 hours (more on that later). The Madking bulbs were a little brighter, but a little extra light in a room can be a good thing. Then the first bulb blew out, just a couple of days after I put it in. I chalked that up to rough handling from shipping, but a few days later, the replacement blew out as well. Then another went in a separate fixture. So unless every bulb had the bejeezus shaken out of it during shipping, there must be a defect in the materials somewhere. I'm hesitant now to put them back into fixtures, because what's the point if they only last a few days to a week? A quick check of the reviews on Amazon shows that this is a pretty common occurance, and while Madking seems to be great about shipping replacements, those seem to sometimes blow out just as fast. The last thing I want to be doing in dragging out the stepstool every few days and replace more bulbs. That's not a merry-go-round I want to ride, thanks.
DSC_0731
It's a shame these didn't last better or longer, because while they work, they're beautiful. While they are a tad brighter than I would like, they are at a nice intersection where form meets function, without either really taking precedence over the other. If they could just figure out why they burn out so fast and fix that, Madking has a real winner on their hands.
DSC_0729

Connect with Madking:

I received the above product(s) free of charge from Madking.  I am not obligated to provide a positive or favorable review, just my honest opinion.  My review is based on my experience with the product and/or brand, which may differ from yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment