Friday, January 4, 2013

Manitoba Harvest Hemp Foods & Oils, Natural Hemp Hearts

DSCN1160

I received a trial size package of Hemp Hearts from Swaggable and I was very curious to try the product, since I have never had it before. Before receiving my sample, I did make sure to look up the seed so I would get an idea about was coming. I did learn that the product is exactly what is called, the heart (middle) portion of the seed and is considered the most nutritious part. The product comes shelled and in it's raw state. Another notable thing to share, Hemp hearts have more protein than Flax or even Chia seeds. The difference is quite notable at 10.0 grams per three tablespoons, compared to Flax having 5.6 grams and Chia Seeds 6.3 grams. Flax does not contain Omega-6 but Hemp does. Omega-3 is found in Hemp Hearts and you also will find it's the lowest in Carbs compared to Flax and Chia. A powerful little seed indeed.

The above is all great but the product has to be palatable for it to even be in the running. I know from my experience, Chia Seeds when they plump in liquid (even your own saliva), they tend to get sort of slimy/sticky so that can be a turn off in texture. I have consumed energy bars that contain the Chia Seeds and hours later, I have seedlings stuck in my teeth so now I make sure to rinse after. The Hemp Hearts advertise a nutty flavor and they do deliver it but it's not intense. Think of how almond slivers taste in their raw state. The company also listed "tender crunch" in their description of the product. I did find a slight hardness but not a crunch at all and this was eating the product as-is, without adding it to any food. I imagine the "crunch" may depreciate once introduced to a wet food like yogurt. The company advertises to sprinkle on salads , cereals and yogurt, however I found it was nice on toast with some preserves (apricot). In this application, I found you get the nutty notes nicely and it goes well with the preserves. The whole tender crunch to slightly hard issue is non-existent because the toast makes up for it. I did like the recipe they included and it was for a Southwest Salad that contained Quinoa and I could easily imagine the flavors blending perfectly. Lastly, I would purchase this product because of it's health benefits but I would not consume it out of the bag as-is. It's too "white rice" like for me when it comes to being plain. I need something added to appreciate it.

Other things of note: The product is part of the NON-GMO project so that's a plus. Vegan and made in Canada. The ingredient's list does not get more simple: Raw Shelled Hemp seeds (no sugar or salt). I may try baking oatmeal cookies I make with dark chocolate and "amping" up it's benefits with these seeds. I am curious as to how they bake and if the nutty flavor intensifies. The company, Manitoba Harvest also makes Hemp Oil and other products so I am again curios because I have never tried Hemp Oil :) Visit them at www.manitobaharvest.com

I received this product for zero charge from Swaggable.  I am not obligated to provide a negative and/or positive review, my honest opinions are my own based on my experience.  Your opinion may differ from mine

No comments:

Post a Comment