Monday, October 7, 2013

BzzAgent: Kashi Hummus Crisps in Sea Salt and Olive Oil Review

I love hummus so when BzzAgent offered me this campaign, I immediately thought Red Pepper hummus on a Kashi Hummus crisp........oh my! You bet I signed up immediately because the pita chip was so yesterday.

DSCN3434

When my BzzAgent kit arrived, it contained a bag of the Kashi Sea Salt and Olive Oil crisps plus coupons to hand out. I noticed the Kashi Hummus Crisp family consists of:

  • The Sea Salt & Olive Oil Hummus Crisps

  • Caramelized Onion Crisps

  • Sun Dried Tomato, Feta and Basil Crisps


All flavors can wake up a plain hummus dip to even compliment a traditional sour cream based dip.

First Impressions:
Upon opening the bag, I did notice many of the crisps were broken beyond what I call being able to scoop any dip with. You could dunk the pieces but that is fine for me at home but not something I would want for my guests. I had about 65% of the crisps that were broken and the rest were whole or not injured enough to count as a "ruined" crisp. I did notice the product is light an airy, so that is always nice when watching your weight, as a generous 27 crisps are only 120 calories! That is a snack option number I like and it's enhanced by 3 grams of Protein and 4 grams of Fiber, so not just an airy treat but it does pack some nutrition behind it. The ingredients are friendly too, with some natural and even organic ones like the spices, olive oil to the nonfat dry milk. The sweetness comes from dried cane syrup. So far I like what makes up the crisp.

DSCN3438

The Taste Test:
I munched on a few plain pieces to get an idea for the flavor and the seasonings are not as plain as you would think with a Sea Salt & Olive oil flavor. You almost get basil and herb notes and this may come from the parsley and "spices" listed. I like when I buy plain flavored chips to pretty much be a nice toasty taste but not something that would not hit off with my dip. I paired the crisps with my Hummus in Red Bell Pepper flavor but the parsley/basil like herb taste tended to even stand out over the dip. You can also smell the herbs coming from the bag. Now, I am a "pro-herb" girl but because they are dry, the were a little too much that the olive oil was almost non-existent. I would have been more accepting of the flavor if it said so in the flavor name "Herbs". The texture is also crisp when you break it in your hand but once the crisp gets wet by a dip or even by being in your mouth, the crisp diminishes quickly. Think air popped popcorn when you put it your mouth and it starts to sometimes leave it a bit dry after eating.

I was craving more crisp so thought why not just pair it up with a salad so I can not lose the crunch and there I did find the chip more pleasing as the seasoning complimented the lettuce blend perfectly.  I also added a dollop of my favorite hummus dip and some seeds (flax, black sesame, toasted sesame, poppy, and pumpkin seeds) to add more of the wanted (crunch) texture.

DSCN3433

I am glad I tried the chips as I would have purchased them (before campaign) anyways but I'm 50/50 on purchasing them because of the texture. I understand the air popped texture is too keep them healthier but it leaves me craving a chip, cracker, anything and actually amplifies the craving (so non-diet). I prefer eating 10 "a little naughty" crisps at the same caloric and fat amount that are delicious versus 27 that are good (and may be the only whole crisp amount in the entire bag). That's it! Kashi Hummus Crisps are good.....not bad, but not spectacularly delicious. For a middle of the road hummus crisp, on sale, plus a coupon........yeah, I'd get them but in another flavor because if you are going with herbs, go all the way and those Sun Dried Tomato and Feta, plus Basil crisps have my name all over it.

DSCN3438

I received the above products from BzzAgent and Kashi, free of charge.  I am not obligated in providing a favorable/positive review, just my honest opinion.  My review is based on my experience with the product(s), which may differ from yours.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your review, Linette. Glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The caramelized onion flavor were much more impressive than the sea salt and olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the feedback and will try the onion one :)

    ReplyDelete