Saturday, February 8, 2014

Bob's Red Mill: Crake! a Fusion Dessert made of a Cinnamon Roll and caKE all-in-one

DSCN4326

With all the fusion of desserts going on today, I thought I would enter into that playground and have a go at it.  I present to you what I call a Crake!  It's actually pastry dough that I made using a blend of flours and a cake that engulfs each roll.  Being that Valentine's Day is around the corner, we all need a hug and this moist buttermilk-based cake does just that to each roll.  So let's get started creating and let me add, this has a sticky bun topping so I made sure to splurge!

We start by getting our starter going:

Starter-
3 ounces of Warm Water (105 to 110 degrees)
1 teaspoon of White Sugar
1/2 tablespoon of Yeast
1 ounce of Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Flour

DSCN4278

I have a proofing option with my oven that I set at 110 degrees.  No need to have one, so you can also place the starter to bloom in a dark warm corner in your kitchen.  I gently mix everything in a small bowl, but one with enough room for the rise. Then cover with plastic and give it about 15 minutes.

While that starter get's....well started, I begin with the Sweet Dough Mix for the Rolls:

Dough-
3 ounces of Yogurt (or you can use 3 ounces of cream cheese, plus 1 tablespoon of milk)
2 ounces of Unsalted Butter (softened)
1 egg at room temperature
1 3/4 ounces of White Sugar
1 teaspoon of Salt
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
6 1/2 ounces of Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Flour
4 Ounces Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal/Flour

Between a 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of All Purpose Flour (separate from above measurements) will be needed while the dough kneads.

[gallery ids="2438,2439,2440"]

I cream the sugar and butter together with a mixer (stand or hand will do, use your whisk attachment).  I then add the Yogurt but in this case I went with the 3 ounces of cream cheese (with 1 tablespoon of milk).  Add the egg and vanilla.  I then add the starter and incorporate everything, being careful not to over mix.   In another bowl, I mix the salt and both flours with a whisk.  I add the mix to the wet ingredients, still with the whisk attachment on.  Things will look a little shaggy at this point; that's okay. I then change over to the dough hook.  I find using a little butter on my dough hook makes it easier in preventing the dough from sticking to it.  I begin to knead and add All Purpose Flour as needed.  Sometimes I need a 1/4 cup and other times I need up to a 1/2 a cup, it all depends on the elasticity it builds.  I knead for about 10 minutes using the mixer.

[gallery ids="2441,2442,2443"]

After the dough is a nice texture, I place it in a buttered bowl and cover it with plastic. In it goes to the proofer for a hour to an hour and 20 minutes. You want the dough to grow almost double in size.

I then begin on the "sticky bun" topping that I call "The Glaze":

Glaze-
4 tablespoons of Butter (salted)
3 tablespoons of Maple Syrup
1/2 a cup of Brown Sugar

[gallery ids="2444,2445"]

I melt the above items down and I find my little "gravy" pan works great as it has a notch for pouring.  Stir frequently and don't hurry it up by turning up the heat.  Use low heat until things melt and just begin to bubble.  You want no sugar crystals (grains), just a smooth glaze.

DSCN4275

While the glaze melts, I get 1/2 a cup of pecans and throw them on some parchment paper to toast.  This intensifies the flavor profile and also adds a nice texture to the glaze.  The glaze will actually almost create a butter nut toffee texture over the pecans, so it is really delicious and beautiful looking at the same time.  I use my toaster oven because my dough is proofing in my oven.  Just place them at 350 degrees and then watch them so they do not burn.  It may take 5 minutes or 10 to be done, so the time is never exact but keep an eye on them until the color changes (darkens slightly).

Nuts-
1/2 cup of toasted Pecans (or any nut of your choice)

[gallery ids="2447,2448"]

I then get a glass pan that I will use to bake this entire concoction in.  I use a "lasagna" pan that is the size of 9 x 13 inches (3 quart).  This allows enough room for the rolls to rise and for the cake batter to fit.  I use cooking spray on the glass and then place parchment.  The spray allows my parchment paper to stick and stay put better so I don't have to fuss with it.  I also find that it's easier to first cut and shape the paper to your liking BEFORE spraying so you don't then end up with baking spray on your hands too.  Yes, it has happened where I forget and then end up with slippery hands!

DSCN4284 DSCN4285

Pour the glaze onto the paper and make sure to help it spread evenly.  Once it spreads out, add the Pecans.

DSCN4286






I get started in making the filling for the Rolls:



Roll Filling-

You can use the standard cinnamon roll filling of 1/2 tablespoons of melted Butter, 1 cup of Brown Sugar, 1/2 to 3/4 tablespoon of ground Cinnamon, with a dash of Nutmeg.




Roll Filling Variations-

With Strawberries being in season and I am going for a Valentine's Day dessert, I picked Strawberries.  You can go with any berry you wish like Blackberries or even a mix.  I used 6 ounces of fresh Strawberries that I sliced up and because they were already sweet, I used less than a teaspoon of White Sugar and just tossed them.  Take note the glaze is sweet and you don't want an overly sweet filing too but do sugar the fruit by taste.



DSCN4288


By now the dough has "poofed" to my liking and close enough to being double the size so I get it out of the proofer and just flip it on to a floured surface.  Have a 1/2 cup of flour ready if needed when it comes to rolling the dough out.  I roll the dough out to about 14 inches (length wise).  I then spread the filling and in this case the fruit, and then I begin to roll like I would any cinnamon roll.




[gallery ids="2454,2455"]






[gallery ids="2456,2457"]



You want 8 rolls in total and this is my method:


Cut the ends off and then cut the roll in half.



DSCN4298


You now have 2 small rolls and you will cut each on in half again.



DSCN4299



You now have 4 pieces and you then simply cut each piece in half and you end up with 8 (close enough) equally sized rolls.


DSCN4302



Place the rolls in the pan that has the glaze and in it goes back in the oven to proof for about 30 to 45 minutes.  You want expansion but not so much that you won't have room for cake batter.



DSCN4303



While the rolls proof, off we go to make the cake batter.  Start making the batter when you are about 10 minutes away from the rolls finish proofing:



Buttermilk Cake Batter-

3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Flour

1/4 cup of Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal/Flour

1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda

1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder

1/2 cup of White Sugar

1/2 teaspoon of Salt

1/3 cup of Unsalted Butter

1 Egg (room temperature)

1/2 teaspoon of Maple Syrup

1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract

1/4 teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon

3/4 cup of Buttermilk





[gallery ids="2462,2463"]





Cream the sugar and butter together.  While that incorporates nicely, get the 3/4 cup of buttermilk and add the egg, vanilla, maple syrup to it until well blended.  Then in a separate bowl blend the dry ingredients, the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Once the butter and sugar are nice and creamy, add 1/2 of the "wet" buttermilk mixture and 1/2 of the "dry" flour mixture to the mixing bowl.  Make sure to not over mix as this results in a tough textured cake.  Scrape the sides and bottom, then add the rest of the wet and dry ingredients.



Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees


DSCN4307



Take the rolls out of the proofer and then add the cake batter to the areas around each roll.  Make sure to not get cake batter on the top of the rolls since you do not want a soggy roll.  A couple of drips is okay but do not spread the cake batter on top of the rolls.  I used all my cake batter because the point here is for the cake to rise to the height of the rolls.  You do not want when you flip these over to collapse.




[gallery ids="2466,2467"]



By now my bossy oven has beeped at me that it is ready for the Crake to go in.  I then bake it between 30 to 40 minutes.  If you see it start to over brown, just place foil on top and make sure to not over bake.  Take it out when the cake is set and a toothpick comes out clean.  Mine was ready at 37 minutes.



DSCN4317



I allow the pan to cool for 8 to 10 minutes and carefully place a dish that accommodates the size of the pan you used over the Crake.  I use a glass cutting board so that I just dirty one thing and I can just slice when needed.  Use oven mitts to keep a nice grip and also in case it's too hot.  Flip and this is where you will thank the parchment paper....just carefully peel and I use a small spatula in case a pecan here or there tries to escape.



DSCN4323



Viola, you made a Crake!



I then heated up dinner and allowed the Crake to cool.  It won't get soggy on the bottom as the glaze stays on top.  After dinner I cut into it and served it with a whipped topping made of Heavy Cream, Mascarpone Cheese, and Powdered Sugar.  You just whip until you get nice stiff peaks but don't over-whip as you will make butter.  To let my guest know the pastry had a Strawberry filling, I added a cut Fresh Strawberry on top and also a whole one to a dollop of whipped cream I placed on the plate.  This allows anyone to get more topping in case I went light on it.  Enjoy!





[gallery ids="2471,2472,2473,2474"]



You can do this any way you desire.  What I mean is this is a dessert that is really two-in-one.  Want to just make the glaze and the cake, you can.  Stop at the glaze and the rolls....go for it.  I write my recipes as I go on a note pad and the above was created on my first try, so if I can do it, so can you.....so make it any way you want :)



DSCN4325




I received some of the above products free of charge from Bob's Red Mill, an employee-owned company.  I am not obligated to provide a positive or favorable review, just my honest opinion.  My review is based on my experience with the product and/or brand, which may differ from yours.


DSCN4156











No comments:

Post a Comment