Thursday, February 26, 2015

Ardenne Farm: All Natural Chocolate Cookie Baking Mix Review #ArdenneFarm



ardenne-farm-logo-medium

 

Even though I love to cook and bake, there are days I want to break down and just be able to drop contents in a bowl, stir, bake and eat! My biggest guilt comes from when I grab a box and start reading or glance at the list of ingredients. The stuff has so many chemicals that they might as well include a mad scientist inside to make the stuff for me. Most of my boxed mixes expire and when I throw them out, I make a mental note to never buy________ again. I think it's my way of telling myself I know better.

My family and I are thankfully not gluten intolerant but I am always open in trying a product that is gluten free to add a change to our routine diet. I must admit that most gluten free products I have tried, well they are like imitators but of the worse kind. Think about an Elvis impersonator and then look at the real Elvis (in his good days) and maybe the outfit looks sort of the same but definitely not the wearer. When I saw Ardenne Farm was kindly offering an all natural baking mix and it said the magic word "chocolate", I figured I would give it a try.

IMAG2523

The Chocolate Cookie Mix is Vegan friendly and like I mentioned Gluten Free, but the list is short when it comes to ingredients. I know what everything listed is and that is not something I see at the common market when it comes to baking aisle.

[gallery type="slideshow" ids="4838,4833,4830"]

Ingredient List: Cane Sugar, Gluten Free Flour Blend (White Rice Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Tapioca Flour), Brown Sugar, Cocoa, Baking Soda, Non GMO Aluminum Free Baking Powder (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Xanthan Gum, Natural Vanilla.

IMAG2524

 

The directions are also simple and it's not like some mixes where I need to bring so much to the cookie party that I end up realizing, I just bought a box of flour with a pretty picture on the front that is only possible if I add $5 more of ingredients to make it happen. You just need one stick of unsalted butter and three tablespoons of water. That is it and everything else is included.

Ardenne Farms' has simple instructions to follow and the only factor that differs from my everyday made from scratch mixes, is the 5 minute setting time after you take the baked product out of the oven. I usually only do 1 to 2 minutes, but this is a rich chocolate product that needs to set and I'm thinking because it's lacking the gluten glue :) Other than that, no eggs to crack and you just open one bag, mix and bake.

[gallery type="slideshow" size="medium" ids="4821,4822,4823,4824"]

Appearance:

The box yields 20 cookies and I am use to cookies being so small that when mixes state this, I know I will be lucky to get 10 cookies, but you see the cookie spreads out more than other cookies, so do stick to a tablespoon per cookie drop, versus the 2 tablespoon-ish I did. I am making ice cream sandwiches, so I needed a larger size. I now call it ice cream sandwiches for two, so even my oopsie has a fix!

Retail Price Point: $4.79 on-line via Ardenne Farm's website for a 16 ounce box

[gallery type="slideshow" size="medium" ids="4834,4826,4832"]

Taste Test:

My Husband has been negative about gluten free baked products because they are all impostors (he says). He told me it's like craving a pizza but you eat a bagel bite and of course still crave pizza. It never fills the craving, so he of course was not too positive about me even baking this. He kept saying, "just make real cookies". I ignored him and went on baking. I did notice the mix has no chips of chocolate but when I opened the bag, you quickly are taken over by a sweet and cocoa rich cloud. I say a cloud because I was hunting for chocolate chips and forgot you let things settle before cutting open. The smell is very pleasant. I mixed as directed, baked, and waited 5 minutes for the cookie to set. I tasted it and thinking is this just something we will be throwing out and I was truly surprised at how good the cookie tasted. It's a simple chocolate cookie but the dark rich chocolate flavor is there and so is the softness. You can see it's flat but it has that desired slight crisp texture on the outside, but it's very gooey on the inside. I gave him half and he groaned and took a bite. He stated it's not bad and took a second bite of the cookie (the thing has maybe 1/4 bite left) and then said, "for gluten free stuff....this is not bad but I call it more like pizzelles are cookies but this is softer". In this house, it's a win because he would just stop eating it and walk away from the treat. He finished the 1/4 bite and walked off while I finished the ice cream cookie sandwiches. I loved the taste and it's sweeter than I make my own dark chocolate cookies, but it really is one of the better gluten free products out there. I would pick-up this product and especially for making ice cream sandwiches and not caring if it had gluten or not. The batter lends itself beautifully for this application and I don't feel bad baking from an Ardenne Farm box, because the ingredients are "family friendly" and I know the cookies will be eaten. :)

[gallery type="slideshow" size="large" ids="4840,4841"]

 

IMAG2473

***GIVEAWAY ALERT***

Ardenne Farm is offering one of my wonderful readers a free Chocolate Cookie mix, just like the one I received above.  I will be posting the giveaway within a few hours and all you need to enter is follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and leave me a comment on this posting.  Almost as simple as baking these cookies! 

IMAG2526

Connect with Ardenne Farm and they have cookies, cakes, and all the sweet stuff your heart desires at:

 

I received the above product(s) free of charge from Ardenne Farm.  I am not obligated to provide a positive or favorable review, just my honest opinion.  My review is based on my experience with the product and/or brand, which may differ from yours.

 

6 comments:

  1. I'm a follower of Ardenne Farms and this mix sounds and looks divine! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan and these cookies look tasty. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like them on facebook as David Lintz and Twitter as @1froglegs.

    These look like great cookies. I can even think of a few things to add, candies mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies look Ah-May-Zing!
    I like on FB and follow on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following and these cookies look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I follow on FB & Twitter! I LOVE these cookies!

    ReplyDelete