Friday, March 14, 2014

BzzAgent: Kroger/Ralph's Supermarket Private Selection Gourmet Cookies

SP32-20140314-161142

As a baker and cooking enthusiast, I sometimes will seek out a day off. This means I resort to someone else filling in for me and in the cookie department, BzzAgent and Ralph's Markets came to my rescue.

In my home the only cookie that usually gets made every other week is my double chocolate chip and chocolate chunk creation, so I am very particular about how a cookie needs to measure up and in came Ralph's with a wide selection to choose from.

You have:

  • White Chocolate Macadamia Nut – White chocolate chunks meet crunchy macadamia nuts, in nice buttery dough.

  • Ultimate Chocolate Chunk – A large amount amount of rich chocolate chunks in every bite that will make you forget you had a chocolate craving in the first place.

  • Turtle Brownie – A brownie-like cookie, which is loaded with gooey caramel and pecans. You get two desserts in one with this baby!

  • White Chocolate Coconut Almond – White chocolate chunks with sweet coconut and almond slivers. It's a tropical flavor to get you out of the everyday rut.


In this campaign, I had issues loading my digital coupon for the free product onto my card even though it was registered but after several attempts, Ralph's finally rewarded me but only after I had visited the store. I head off to the store to hunt for 3 of the cookies I know I will be trying. I make it to my local Ralph's bakery and unfortunately all that was available was the Ultimate Chocolate Chunk and the White Chocolate with Macadamia nuts varieties, but I buy what they have.

Ultimate Chocolate Chunk Taste Test:
I must admit my curiosity was piqued so I figured I'd try a Ultimate Chocolate Chunk cookie in the car. I may not have milk but I have water! The cookies look soft and gooey but when I opened the box, I could smell the sweetness from all the sugars, but not the chocolate. I see some chunks but they are chunks more described like misshapen chocolate chips, small in size and not even medium in size. I would say these look more like rejected chocolate chips that did not make the cut! I bite and find that the cookie crumbles but it's because it's hard......like over baked. Due to the cookie being high in sugar and not chocolate, you get a burned flavor from the fats so I left this ultimate experience to one bite. My Husband bailed on trying the cookie at all after he "saw my face", so this cookie did not make a good first impression at all! So sad :( I had the cookie box on the counter and when anyone tried them, they quickly asked, "where did you buy these"? Let's say it was not because they were liked and they were seeking to repurchase, but more to avoid getting these cookies themselves.

White Chocolate & Macadamia Nut Taste Test:
I know we are in a drought in California but it seems that includes a shortage on White Chocolate and Macadamia nuts too. Again the package says chunks and the idea is sort of stretched because these are chips all the way.....nothing chunk or misshaped about them. These chocolate chips at least are not from the rejected chip factory like the Ultimate Chocolate chips cookies were. These are from the 2 chips-per-cookie ONLY factory! Yes, we counted and it took some effort with the mealy base the cookie had. The nuts were so chopped up that they seemed to add a "meal" effect versus just tasting and crunching. You get zero crunch and they are sort of soggy in nature. Never had a macadamia nut behave this way so we figured we got the "misbehaved" nuts in this cookie. Not worth the calories, we just put our white flag up and did not pass the 2 bites we had with these cookies.

Price Point: $3.99 for a box of 6 cookies

Cookies can usually be saved and even made into ice cream sandwiches when they go array. These could not! That is saying something because this was always my go-to idea when a cookie met heat for too long or just did not bake up as it should. Both cookies had one thing in common.....super dry and did not taste like the flavor listed on the box, just sweet. Maybe Ralph's Bakery was having an "off day" but I also noticed the bakery was empty and not super stocked, or moving product as some store are at that hour. I was in the market at peak time but no one was buying the sweet goods from the store. I hope these improve because they sound delicious in description but just did not deliver in taste and texture.

If you would like to connect with the Private Selection Gourmet Cookies, please visit:

  • Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/PvtSelection

  • Twitter- https://twitter.com/kroger


I received the above product free of charge from BzzAgent and Ralph's Market (a Kroger Company).  I am not obligated to provide a positive or favorable review, just my honest opinion.  My review is based on my experience with the product and/or brand, which may differ from yours.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment